Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Framing window in cocncrete foundation wall

Framing window in cocncrete foundation wall

Old 03-01-02, 01:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Framing window in cocncrete foundation wall

Sorry about the cross post, but some of the other threads don't get much traffic here and I just wanted to increase my chances of getting a response.

I am remodeling a basement room and on one wall there are two double hung windows side by side creating a sort of really wide window. They actually fit into a 70in.W cutout or "bay" (though it is not a bay window, just standard double hung) in the concrete foundation wall where they are located. My question is, can I use some type of plywood to build the 4-sided box like frame that you build when framing a window? Normally, you would use like a 12in.W (or whatever, depending on your rough opening I guess), solid piece of pine or something similar for the top, bottom, and sides when framing the window. The rough opening is incorporated into the concrete foundation sill (the top of the foundation, sill, is like 7ft high, drops vertically down 2.5 feet or so, goes horizontal for 70in., then goes vertically up again to meet the regular foundation sill at 7ft again). Compound this by the fact that I am building a 2x4 stud wall along this wall with 5/8in. drywall over it, (not covering the window of course, but there will now be added depth for the window sill that wasn't there before I built the 2x4 wall), the opening for the window is very deep, I will need about a 14in. wide piece of wood to frame around the sides and top/bottom of the window (BTW, the window is already in place, I'm just replacing the old wood frame). After checking HD and Lowes, they only had 12in.W pieces of finished solid wood (i.e. 12"Wx6ftL ect.). So I was thinking of just getting a half or three-quater inch sheet of plywood and just cutting the pieces I need. However, I just wanted to make sure plywood, being multiple “layers” of wood versus solid piece of pine or what ever that was there before, is OK to use for this type of application. I do not really wish to glue two pieces of solid wood together to attain this 14in. width, but will do so if multi-layered wood wouldn’t be good for framing around a window. Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate your response and I hope I articulated it well enough to understand.

Old 03-11-02, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Plywood should work fine, I would recomend a very good quality or even a water resistant piece.

In most cases the difference between the two materials is cost, waist, and cosmetics.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: