ugly walls

Old 03-02-02, 08:21 PM
Diana Ramsey
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Angry ugly walls

I have wallpapered paneling in my living room. There is no drywall under it. My husband does not want to take it down and drywall it. I do! I have papered three walls a few years ago. It never looked because the paneling is so uneven. Is there a kind of wood paneling I can put right over it and paint to look close to drywall?
Old 03-03-02, 10:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Go ahead and drywall. The dry wall is heavy so you may need your husbands help positioning it, but you don't need upper body strength to measure and cut. Taping and mudding is a skill that has to be developed, but you will with patience and care. Use a sanding sponge to sand; it helps keep the dust down.
When you remove the old panelling, you may want to get some wiring replaced or added.
Add plenty of insulation in all the walls for weather and sound -proofing.
You will probably have to move existing electrical receptacles out about a bit so they are flush with the new walls.
You may have to and thin strips of wood to the studs so that the wall-board lies flat.
This is a messy and time-consuming job, but worth it for real walls.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: