Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall finishing questions...

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 09:22 PM   #1  
starrs

I am in the process of completing my basement, and have installed a drywall ceiling.

I plan on spraying on a textured ceiling. This being the case, are two coats of joint compound sufficient for the ceiling? I"m thinking the textured ceiling will mask any imperfections present because of only two coats at the joints.

Related question: Is only a single coat to cover screws for the ceiling adequate? Will the sprayed ceiling also mask the tiny depressions present after the first coat?

(I have already applied two coats to the fasteners on the walls.)

Related question: For third coats for the wall joints, is the USG Topping coat joint compound easier to work with than the USG All-Purpose Lightweight +3 compound?

Advice will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

KS

03-04-02, 05:59 AM   #2  
Two coats should do it. Put another coat on the scews. They may show through. If you have any butt joints, make sure they are pretty flat because they will show. Sand any goobers or lap marks off. I always use plus 3 for all my coats. That's what it is made for. Topping is fine but it is heavy. Lightweight is the way to go. Your shoulders will thank you later. What kind of texture do you plan to use on the ceiling. I may have some more tips for you.

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 07:18 AM   #3  
starrs

Hello Coops,

You asked me what type of texture I plan on applying to my basement ceiling, and you had a few more tips for me...

I plan on spraying on that standard "cottage cheese" ceiling for my basement.

I do have a few questions on how to do this procedure...

1.) What materials do you suggest?
2.) Do I rent a blower? How much per day?
3.) How thick of a layer do I apply?
4.) Do I tape off the adjacent walls during this operation?

Thank you much for your help on my previous question, and thank you for offering to help me in more detail.

--Starrs

KS

03-04-02, 02:19 PM   #4  
Use USG acoustic spray texture. It's a powder that comes in bags. It comes in small medium and large. That is the size of the styrofome balls. Medium is most common. Rent a texture rig. Price is dependent on which store you go to. Usually around $30 per day. Mix the texture very thin. You will know if it's too thick because it won't spray out of the hopper very well. Sort of like ranch salad dressing. Or blue cheese because of the chunks. They recommend on the bag to mix up the texture and let sit for 30 min. Then mix up some more. I mix up my texture the night before. Then I mix it some more right before I spray. That way it gets out all the lumps you don't want and will spray better. You need to spray a lot on to cover completely. Each bag covers about 500 square feet of surface. I would mask off the walls. That stuff goes everywhere. Hope I've been of some help

Visiting Guest

03-05-02, 03:59 PM   #5  
starrs

Hello Coops28,

I genuinely thank you for the advice on my sprayed ceiling for my drwall.

What still remains unclear to me is the mixture.

Is the ceiling mixture a one-component slurry, with the "Cottage cheese" texturing added and mixed in with the base mixture, or is the wet base coat applied first, then the "cottage cheese" texture balls applied afterwards?

I guess I'm asking for a more detailed description of the sequence of steps I need to execute.

(Sorry if I'm asking for a lot....I've never witnessed or done this before, and I can't find any books to provide guidance)

Thanks!!!

KS

03-06-02, 02:27 PM   #6  
The texture comes all together in one big bag. It is a dry powder with polystyrene balls included. Dump the dry mix into a 5 gal. bucket. Mix 1/2 a bucket first then add the rest. Makes it easier and is a little cleaner. Add clean water and mix until runny. Let sit and mix some more. Pour liquid into hopper and spray.

Search this Thread