Uneven studs

Old 03-04-02, 03:52 AM
Uneven studs

I recently framed two partition walls in my basement. The "more important" sides are nice & flush/square, etc. The other side however is not as flush mainly because not all 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's are the same size. Some of the studs "long dimensions" vary significantly. Is there anything that is normally done to compensate for the lack of consistently in size amonst the studs to ensure that your srywall is flush?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 05:55 AM
If they are off a little bit don't worry about it. A lot of wavyness dissapears in the finishing process. If it is signigicantly off you should shim the studs. Drywall shims are made of cardboard. They are approximately 32" long, 1 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick. You can get them at any drywall supply house or I've seen them at the home depot. Make sure you don't over shim. A good way to tell is to put a straight edge flat on the studs.

Old 03-04-02, 06:13 AM
workatit
Visiting Guest
Coops28- How much variance is allowable without showing on the finished wall? If a straight edge is layed across the wall and and every so often one stud is off by 1/8' will that show on the finished wall?

Old 03-04-02, 07:40 AM
workatit makes a good point. What is the allowable variance? 1/8" or 1/4" ?

Old 03-04-02, 02:06 PM
1/8" will be o.k. Anything over that I would shim.

Old 03-04-02, 03:41 PM
Thanks

Old 03-06-02, 06:10 AM
Pugaboom
Visiting Guest
coops, what do you mean shim the studs if the wall is already built? You referenced "Drywall" shims, are these shims that you use on the SURFACE of the studs between the stud and the drywall? If not, I don't understand what you mean by shim the studs if they are already nailed in place.
Or if the partition wall is built against a concrete foundation, are you saying apply the shims behind the studs between the foundation and the stud, thus slightly forcing the stud out into the room a tad, though this doesn't sound right since it would seem you would get an uneven vertical line then. Thanks for the explanation.

Jim

Old 03-06-02, 02:20 PM
Drywall shims are cardboard shims that attatch to the stud. You can nail them or screw them with drywall fasteners. When you are satisfied with the flatness (including the shim) apply your rock. One advantage of cardboard shims is that you can screw into them. Say you have a huge space that needs 1/2" of shimming, you just use your regular 1 1/4" screws and screw into it.