Archways over doors

Old 09-03-01, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have created fountains with "mountains" from concrete and rocks to landscape my garden. Now we are retired and headed south. I can no longer work with concrete due to a disability (old age) and am looking for a substitute (which will be less in weight and effort) to recreate similar items in our new gardens. Have seen foam rocks and fountains but none of the companies who make them will share their product suppliers with me. Any ideas? Sure do need help here.

Old 03-12-02, 06:04 AM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Archways over doors

1.) My wife and I would like to construct archways over the door openings in our kitchen and would like to know the best approach. The walls are sheetrock. The upper part of the openings are; of course, square across the top.

2.) My wife and I would like to add an arch opening on the wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room. This wall is not load bearing as approximately 2' across the top; and approximately 8' across, is open where we currently have baskets, etc. This wall is also sheetrock.

I would appreciate the best approach to the above projects.

Thank you.

Old 03-12-02, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You frame the arches on both sides with plywood cut out for the arch.
Add small 2X blocks inside the bottom of the plywood pieces around the arch.
Score the back of a strip (width of arch) of sheetrock so that it is flexible and smoothly curves around the arch, and screw it to the blocks.
Drywall the plywood, and tape the seams around the arch.
(Build the plywood frame so that the drywall will be even with the surrounding wall.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 03-12-02, 09:08 AM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Thank you....

Old 03-12-02, 04:29 PM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
One last question:

Do i need to worry about cutting the above headers when i start to install the plywood for the arches?. I'll need to cutt away the double headers going across. Don't know if these are classified as low bearing.

Thank you..

Old 03-13-02, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You need to raise the header above and across the opening, supported by doubled 2X4s on both ends.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: