Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing ceramic tile from wall

Visiting Guest

03-05-02, 12:52 PM   #1  
mbproc
Removing ceramic tile from wall

I am redecorating my kitchen and there are 2.25" ceramic tiles on the backspash all the way around the kitchen from the countertops to the bottom of overhead cabinets approximately 15-18". Is there an easy/least amount if damage way to do this without destroying the wallboard/backerboard or should I just assume all will have to be replaced and remove all?

If I do have to remove all, exactly how do I go about it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 03:06 PM   #2  
mikewren
I assume that you are not replacing the cabinets? I am doing the same thing right now, but we are getting new cabinets. I had to do some wiring and plumbing so I removed all the drywall. I was originally going to be removing just where the tile was, but a lot of the adhesive for the tile was still on the wall and it is rock hard and wouldn't come off without ripping up the paper backing. The other question to ask is what are you replacing the tile with? Are you going to wallpaper or paint it? If you cut out the wallboard between the cabinets and replace it you would end up with a seam at the edge of the cabinets that I am not sure how you would tape and spackle. However if you are going to put new tile back up then it shouldn't be a big deal. Good luck.

Search this Thread