tin cielings

Old 03-16-02, 02:08 PM
lisab963
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb tin cielings

I believe I have a tin ceilingin my front hall and my kitchen. The house was built in 1875, which I believe was the Arts & Craft period for house design. I want to redo the ceilings and I believe they are tin, definitely a metal. What can I use on them to refinish them? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-02, 03:46 PM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
"Arts & crafts", at least in the US, referes to the period more around the turn of the (last) century through the early 20's. If you're dealing with 1875, it's more likely to be one of the Victorian styles. So with your tin ceilings, what is it you're trying to do? Just so you know, these never would have been left bare metal. They were meant to be painted.

Old 03-24-02, 06:26 AM
lisab963
Visiting Guest
Smile tin ceilings....

Hi KC,

Iguess you are right... I don't know how I figured it wrong, anyways.. I want to repaint the ceilings but do not know what to use on the ceilings that are tin... can I just use any kind of paint remover, do I just sand to smooth the surface or what..

Old 03-25-02, 02:32 AM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't bother stripping them. What a lot of work! just make sure there's no loose paint, and really clean them well. Then paint with any oil-based paint.

Old 03-25-02, 03:26 AM
lisab963
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks KC....

Old 03-27-02, 09:08 PM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
Good luck with it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: