removing sprayed ceiling

Old 03-20-02, 07:29 AM
krnsnielsen
Visiting Guest
removing sprayed ceiling

We are remodeling our home and need to redo the ceilings. We want to go from a sprayed ceiling to a knockdown ceiling texture. What is the best way to remove the old spray from the ceiling.

We thought about tearing the drywall down and starting over but the attic is filled with sprayed insulation and that would be a huge mess. So we ruled that option out.

Right now we are wetting the ceiling down and scraping it but it is a very slow process. Do you have any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 11:58 AM
Cool

The only way to remove the old textured popcorn ceiling is exactly what you're doing.
Spray water on it with a Windex-tupe spray bottle, and scrape with a 10" or 12" sheetrock blade. Be careful on the seams.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 03-21-02, 06:02 AM
I use a garden type sprayer. Fill with warm water and a little dish soap(helps loosen the texture). I spray small sections pretty much soaking the ceiling. Then with a 6 inch knife I scrape off. When your done you will have to do a lot of touch up. You may have to finish all the seems and nail holes again. Very messy job but I think worth it.