Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall vs suspended ceiling - which should I do?

Visiting Guest

03-21-02, 09:23 PM   #1  
doitifIcan
drywall vs suspended ceiling - which should I do?

Finishing part of our basement in a new construction home....about 500 sq feet in all
should I use drywall or suspended tile?
I would like to use drywall for $ advantages but is there something I am overlooking?
thanks for any input

Sponsored Links

OH

03-22-02, 04:07 AM   #2  
Yes...

Yes, you may be overlooking some things. How close are your joists? For a ceiling I wouldn't go more than 16" o.c. Some joists will be 19+" o.c.

You will probably need to shim to get a level ceiling. Also cost out 5/8" instead of 1/2" drywall.

Perhaps the biggest thing is finishing the ceiling. Taping/mudding is not for everyone (I'll never do it again!). Working overhead is very tedious. If you've never done it before and will be doing it yourself, consider that aspect.

03-24-02, 01:00 PM   #3  
Drywall looks more finished however suspended looks fine too.....If your only consideration between the two is $$..then consider spending some extra time at work to make up the materials difference which may not be alot considering primer and paint........Why? by the time your finished taping and mudding which is not that difficult however very time consuming then you'll come out ahead..........as the drop will be done in less than a day with no help needed to lift panels, no labor for finish needed and the electrical will be that much easier now and later........

Visiting Guest

03-27-02, 05:21 PM   #4  
BaileyTaz
yHave done both drywall and drop ceiling in basement and hope not to do drop again. Drywall does require more time for mudding, etc., but whats a week? If you rent a drywall lift (right term?) very manageable for one person. Advantage to drop ceiling is that if you have to have access to elec., plumbing, etc. it much more accessable. Am refinishing another basement now and am hanging drywall, but considered the "snap in" tiles. Seemed like it might be easier. Also, with sheetrock and the "snap ins" you aren't going to lose as much height as w/ drop ceiling. ("Snap ins" place tracks perpindicular directly to joists , very little height lose and you can choose from several different style tiles, which can also be painted. Price seemed reasonable in the SE.)

Search this Thread