Ugly walls...need advice

Old 03-24-02, 03:25 PM
ahadden
Visiting Guest
Ugly walls...need advice

We have two rooms in our house that have pretty ugly walls. They look like someone put wallpaper over plaster, then painted the wall paper. They're very bumpy (small bumps, almost like braille).

Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do to make it look better?

I'm not sure if people will be able to tell anything from this, but I took a picture of one of the walls:

http://home.attbi.com/~allenhadden/UglyWall.jpg

I've thought about the following options:

1) Tearing it all down and replacing it (I'd hate to do that unless it's absolutely necessary).
2) Putting 1/4" drywall over it and replacing the trim.
3) Skim coating over it, possibly removing the "wallpaper" first (will this just make it worse?)
4) Paying someone to fix it for me (probably more money than I'm willing to spend).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Allen

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-02, 08:43 AM
jlob66
Visiting Guest
How asdventurous are you?

Allen,

The photograph just looks like textured paint, but I assume you would recognize that.
How old is your house? You might have old sagging plaster that some-one has put that heavy textured paintable wall-paper over as a 'repair'. Or just because they like it.
Covering with 1/4" sounds like a good idea; if you have an older house, newer trim and moldings might be thinner than the original, so fitting the new trim might not be too hard.
But aren't you curious about what's behind there?
Maybe you should take the wall-covering off an OUTSIDE wall first; if the wall falls apart, insulate and re-wire. Then cover the inside walls with wall-board.

Old 04-09-02, 08:54 AM
Ms.denise
Visiting Guest
I have had the same problem..I would go with paneling which they have some really pretty stuff now..or I would put new sheetrock....good luck!