Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

floating walls and shower walls - help!

Old 03-30-02, 09:02 PM
Buford
Visiting Guest

Hi,
I am putting in a 36 inch deep by 60 inch wide by 76 inch high two piece shower enclosure. I have floating walls in the basement and would like to know how to attach the shower to the floating walls. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Buford

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-02, 08:10 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
I am not exactly sure what your question is. You can not use the shower stall as a stablizer for your wall. The shower encloser is attached to a wall with screws. If your walls move, you need to put up plywood prior to the installing the encloser. Your installation manual should state exactly what is required.

Old 04-05-02, 07:01 AM
Buford
Visiting Guest
Woodbadger,

Thanks for the reply. I live in Colorado and due to "expansive" soil conditions code requires I float the walls as described here:
http://www.pprbd.org/sampdraw/bsmnt_finish.jpg
I was puzzled about how to attach a shower wall to this structure. The foundation is below frost line and should not move. The slab in the basement may move due to the soil moisture content. The minimum float on the walls is 1 and 1/2 inches. I checked with a local inspector and you can float the top of the wall. This will allow the tub to be "mounted" on the slab along with the wall. The shower cab then be attached to the wall and they can float together. Crown molding is used to hide the gap at the top of the wall.
Buford

Old 04-05-02, 07:22 AM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
Very interesting. I didn't know areas have code to hang walls from the ceiling to avoid slab movement cracking the sheetrock.

So now you will have some walls hanging from the ceiling and the shower walls attached to the floor. So, that means you will have to allow movement between these two types of walls where they meet. wow.