Drywall Screwgunes

Old 04-01-02, 06:52 AM
coreyclark
Visiting Guest
Drywall Screwgunes

I will be hanging some drywall in my basement and have a question. I have talked with drywallers and people that hang drywall(there is a difference, like Electricians and those that do electrical) concerning fastners, screws vs. nails. I have also read some articles on the subject. Of course everyone has their opinon, but more often that not, I have heard screws instead of nails.

So with that in mind, I am in the market for a drywall screwgun. Are there any specs I should be looking for or staying away from? Also, any suggestions on models?

Thanks.

Corey Clark
Valparaiso, IN

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-02, 11:33 AM
Do you have a cordless drill? If so, you can get what is called a drywall 'dimpler' attachment that you can use in your cordless drill. DeWalt makes them.

Old 04-01-02, 11:50 AM
My personal favorite is dywalt. My first gun was a black and decker then dywalt bought them out so it's pretty much the same. What you look for is the Amps. I think the pro model has 6.2 Amps. Also the pro model has a metal end on it instead of plastic.

Old 04-02-02, 05:44 AM
Look at me. I'm endorsing a product and can't even spell it! Dewalt. See ya

Old 04-03-02, 07:09 AM
I bought the dimpler attachedment. Hung 20 + sheets with it in my basement and it worked great. I now keep one in each of my various toolboxes just the same as I keep extra phillips bits. With the magnetic bit holders they are easy to switch in & out, and the magnetic holder holds the screws just fine. At a buck or so a piece you can't beat them. Probably a little slower than a dedicated screwgun, but certainly more affordable and the results are the same. I also use the dimpler at various times not associated with drywall when I do not want to overdrive the screw.

Old 04-03-02, 10:57 AM
coops28

Just an FYI. Dewalt and Black and Decker have always been the same company. The Dewalt line was always consider to be the "pro" line in the past. I think that the Dewalt tools have become more popular with DIY'ers who are buying tools for the long run. IMO the B&D stuff isn't built as long lasting as the Dewalt. I tend to by the best built tools because I know I will keep them for the long run. If it's something that I'm going to use just once or twice, I'll go to somewhere like Harbor Freight. If I use something once or twice and pay $20 for it vs. $100, then it's worth it. I am looking right now at installing engineered oak flooring in my house. Harbot Freight has the stapler used to do that for $45.00 vs $250 for the Stanley Bostich version. I could rent it, but That could turn out to be more expensive for the number of times I'll use the tool.