Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paint peeling off walls

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 06:05 AM   #1  
Kimberly J.
paint peeling off walls

Our home is 90 years old. The paint on two of the walls in my son's room are peeling off. The walls are plaster. How did this happen? The house is stucco. Is this caused by moisture from the outside? There is a crack in the stucco near this area. Or is it from the humidifier I used this winter?
And do I just scrape the walls and then prime and paint?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 07:10 PM   #2  
woodbadger
It takes a lot of moisture to make paint peel. Without inspecting, it is difficult to know for sure, but I would doubt the humidifier.

Cracks in stucco are a problem you want to correct right away.

If you see mold where the pain peeled (black spots), you will want to use a Kilz, prior to repainting. If you don't, the mold stains will work their way through the paint.

You may also want to inspect the roof. My first guess would be you have a roof problem that is running down the inside of the roof until it hits the wall. The water is then damaging the inside and outside of the wall. If your problem is anywhere around a valley, I would be 90% sure that the valley flashing and ice and water shield have been penetrated.

Search this Thread