Water Damage on drywall seams

Old 04-06-02, 04:19 PM
Barleypopman
Visiting Guest
Water Damage on drywall seams

I had some snow blow into vents on the roof this winter, and when it melted, the water left cracked seams in the ceiling at the drywall seams. I want to re-tape it, but was wondering if anyone had done it and could give me advice before I start. Thanks if you can.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-02, 04:54 PM
Cool

Take a utility knife with a sharp blade and cut a notch of the bad tape and sheetrock out with the angle wider inward.
Lay a bed of mud, patch the seam with mesh sheetrock tape, and smooth-mud it in.
Let it dry overnight, lightly sand, and add a third layer of mud feathered out at the edges.
Let that dry overnight, and sand smooth.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-06-02, 05:13 PM
Barleypopman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, but the damage is minimal, is it possible to remove the old tape without damaging the drywall under it? I'm thinking if I cut out parts of draywall , it will become a bigger job than required, but maybe that is the only way to do it. The seam is visible but the area affected is about 1/8" wide, and protrudes below the cieling about 1/16" and is cracked. I was hoping to just peel off the old tape, and re-do it, but that doesn't sound like that is possible?

Old 04-07-02, 01:09 AM
Cool

Yes, you can do that.
Just remove what is loose and necessary.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread