Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New to Sheetrocking - advice

04-19-02, 10:16 AM   #1  
New to Sheetrocking - advice

We just removed paneling from a 4 season porch with 8 large jalousy (spelling?) windows and will be putting up sheetrockon the ceiling (with insulation and vapor pockets) and doing 4 walls. I have hung sheetrock but never taped/mudded. My father-in-law whom we are buying the house from, has built homes all over New England and is speerheading most of the work on this one. (Retired free labor) He is afraid if I sheetrock/tape/mud that the seams will be visible.

I am not an experienced tape/mud guy and want some opinions on how difficult it is to get fairly seamless walls/ceiling.

1) Is there a good chance the job will come out crappy if i try to take my time and do it right? (Basically is it that touchy a job?)

2) If I use the mesh adhesive tape will it make my job easier AND still get a neat job as if I use paper tape?

3) Any hints would be great.

The other option is to hang blueboard and have a $1500 plaster job done. I can not afford that with this being our first new home and ALL new windows, door, cabinets, carpet, paint, 200amp service, oil tank........ Thanks for all the help. peace: e3

Sponsored Links

FL

04-19-02, 12:02 PM   #2  
I once closed in a porch and did all the framing, window and door installation, insulation, ductwork, moulding and drywall myself. Previously, I had never done any of this myself. I took my time with each step of the process and read alot of material to make sure I knew what I was getting into at each step and make sure I was doing things right. I think the drywall was the most daunting task but I bought the right tools, took my time with it, and painstakingly inspected and sanded each seam. I used the paper drywall tape for all the seams and aluminum corner beads for exterior corners. It was a timeconsuming, dirty job but it was well worth the money I saved and the satisfaction of having done it myself. Two pointers, don't get the quick dry mud. If you're a beginner, you'll need the extra time before it dries to get it just right. At least 90 minute mud should do. Also, put some texturizing finish on the walls before painting. This will hide the small drywall mistakes which will save some anguish if you're a perfectionist. I say GO FOR IT!! Good luck!!

Visiting Guest

04-20-02, 08:07 AM   #3  
Davef15
I say gp for it as well. I'm not a professional but have done a lot of sheetrock over the past 30 years. while it looks like a daunting task, if broken down to the individual elements its not That bad. here are a few "lessons" i've learned over the years.

1) First and foremost, buy good tools. Cheap tools are frustrating to work with and people loose interest because of the frustration. An investment in good quality and properly taken care of will last a lifetime for the average DIY. You will need a range of knifes, up to 12 inch.

2) I like 5/8 inch drywall on the ceiling. Its 25% heavier but its also more rigid. That's not to say 1/2 inch can't produce a quality job - it can, but I really like the 5/*

3) Screws, not nails. make sure you set the screws properly, just below the surface. You don't need a drywall gun, a good drill motor will work as long as you don't get overly aggressive.

4) Use the mesh tape if you want, only on the flat seams. It is too difficult to work with in the corners. I use paper everywhere and have never had a problem with it. The secret is to make sure you have sufficient mud under the tape. Don't get too aggressive when you press the tape into the mud.

5) Thin coats of mud on the joints - even if it takes four to get an acceptable finish.

6) I prefer to coat one side of an inside corner at a time - never could get the hang of both sides without messing up one or the other.

7) Use drywall screen for sanding - not sandpaper. It will be dusty and the dust will travel through the house.

8) don't over sand, especially on the paper itselt - it will be noticable after you paint.

9) Always vacuum or wet wipe and seams to remove dust before you recoat with mud.

there's probably a few more but these work for me.

Visiting Guest

04-20-02, 04:36 PM   #4  
Undercover
What is your ceiling dimension

Search this Thread