drywall for dropped ceiling

Old 04-27-02, 05:46 AM
rumom53
Visiting Guest
Exclamation drywall for dropped ceiling

we are putting a suspended ceiling in our family room in our basement. We are going to use drywall cut to 2x4 lengths and paint it to match our walls. Can we paint the back side of the drywall? Anyone with answers or suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks a million.

Old 04-27-02, 06:52 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
Don't know why you couldn't but you will likely have to repair a bunch of divits from handling. Drywall is "paired" good face to good face to prevent damage to the good face. The paper on the back is certainly "rougher" and you may not like the texture. Based on an earlier post, I'm guessing you are going for a 2 x 4 grid and you now realize there is a thinner section along each that will show. You might consider reducing the 2 ft to say 1'9" (or the 4' to 3'9") and then you can cut off the seam area. Otherwise, if you want to paint the back I would prime a piece and paint to see if you like the texture BEFORE you install the whole grid.

Old 04-27-02, 08:41 AM
rumom53
Visiting Guest
drywall used for a suspended ceiling

Thanks a million. That answered our question exactly. We are going to use the back side, I think, because we are going to paint it rough anyway. Will let you know how this project turns out. Again, thank you very much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: