Ceiling Ideas????

Old 04-28-02, 08:30 PM
coke4breakfast
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Ideas????

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what to do with my bathroom ceiling??!!

I'm about to begin a bathroom remodel and, among other things, am going to rip out the flimsey suspended panel ceiling. I had thought I'd like to put up a framework of 2x6's or 2x8's and attach sheetrock, then do the wall sheetrock, then tape and paint the whole works. However, I'm thinking this may be a little on the heavy side. And I'm not finding this in books or on web sites as an option.

I should add that whatever I choose must be suspended due to some ugly ductwork, and that the base I would attach said ceiling to is lath and plaster, or in some places, just lath.

Thanks in advance!
Daphne

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-02, 04:31 AM
rumom53
Visiting Guest
Post info. on suspended ceiling

hey: Our project with our suspended ceiling has just began, but looks great. I like it a lot better than those flimzy ceiling tiles. I will e-mail you later today and let you know exactly how we are doing it. My husband is the project doer in my house , I just tell him if I like it, and this is so much better. Look for an answer later today, maybe after 5 or 6. Thanks for the interest.Talk later.

Old 04-30-02, 04:53 AM
coke4breakfast
Visiting Guest
No rush...

Take your time. I'm in the middle of a plumbing mess and must go to that forum now.

Old 04-30-02, 05:12 AM
rumom53
Visiting Guest
Cool ceiling ideas?

My husband went to work and didn't leave me any instructins on how he did it, but I will give you some of what I saw him do. I will reply later today. First we cut the drywall into 4 pieces, each 4' wide. We painted it to whatever color we wanted. We used 1"x6' cut to length to lay the ceiling tiles on. Instead of using the little hangers to hang the grids on , he cut some little squares of wood and nailed them to the floor beams. He then nailed the 1"x6(cut to length) to them after all that he used the short grids to support the drywall. This may sound a little crazy, but will e-mail later and send instructions that you can use. This was just to give you an idea on how the project is done. It looks really great, so if you have time, I promise to post later today. Thanks for your patience.

Old 04-30-02, 06:53 PM
rumom53
Visiting Guest
Smile ceiling ideas???

Hello, I'm back to give you some ideas from the project doer of the house. Here is what he says to do: He says he dropped the ceiling 3.5"by nailing pieces of 2x4 blocks to floor joist. Then he nailed 6" boards to the blocks 47" apart and used the 4' cross t's between each ceiling panel. The ceiling panels and the cross t's sets on the edge of the 6" boards. Cut the drywall into 2x4 panels and paint as you wish. We painted the whole sheet of drywall before cutting it, it was easier that way. Hope this helps, let me know how your project goes. Ours is going very well. And, by the way, good luck with the plumbing.