Tear Away Beads?

Old 05-07-02, 05:28 AM
Tear Away Beads?

I am having someone tape and mud my 4 season porch with jalousy windows. I hung the sheetrock and he will do the dirty work. Now the brick chimney is inside that room from the fireplace being on the adjacent wall. I was concerned that chimney will move independently of the house and to tape and mud against the chimney may be a bad idea.

He recommended "Tear Away Beads". Can someone explain how they work, what they are, and what the end results will be? Thanks. I am the heavy work guy, not the finish work type. Peace: e3 - spamman

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-02, 06:51 PM
"Tear away" beads are a drywall accessory similar to corner beads - their purpose is to 'stop' a drywall line near, without joining it to, an adjacent surface. Once the joint compound has set, the exposed bead can be torn off, leaving a clean joint that doen't quite touch the adjacent material.

Usually only found in drywall specialty supply houses. Some of the bigger chains (Home Depot, etc.) may have it on hand, but I doubt it.

Old 05-14-02, 07:37 AM
Thanks George. I got the tear away beads and need to cut some drywall away from the adjacent chimney surface. Then I guess you staple the bead along the cut, mud it, and then nick and rip the bead to make a clean edge. I was going to originally mud up to the chimney but the mating might be ugly and the porch may move a little independently from the chimney and separate over time. Thanks for the help. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 06-07-02, 04:43 AM
George: Once again, thanks for the help. I put the tear away beads up, mudded up to them and made the parallel to the chimney surfaces. One thing I did different was LEAVE them there. Sounds scary but I did not tear them away. I sanded to the bead. Made sure none of the staples showed and all the "holes" the bead has was nicely covered with the mud. I primed and painted the walls/beads and it looks great. the beads look great in the walls. They "frame" the chimney about 1/4". Great stuff and thanks for the help. Peace: e3 - spamman