Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vertical wood/board&batten siding

Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 04:52 PM   #1  
CabinetMan
vertical wood/board&batten siding

I'm about to add some rough sawn red oak siding to my home addition. I'm trying to match the existing siding of about 80 yrs...yes I said red oak. No one has heard of it ...but I assure you it is red oak, anyways I've already got it..any tips on application would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cabinetman..

Sponsored Links

NC

05-08-02, 05:01 AM   #2  
Butt the wall boards and use #8 or #10 galvanized twisted siding nails. Use 45 degree cuts over-and-under to match vertical boards, if you use boards that don't reach from top to bottom of wall (for more efficient use of oak lumber).
Is the existing siding stained or painted?
To get the new to match the old, you're going to have to re-do it all to blend. If the old oak is weathered naturally, you can use a semi-transparent grey stain to blend, and experiment in small areas until it looks right.
Good Luck!
Mike

Visiting Guest

05-17-02, 06:26 PM   #3  
CabinetMan
The weather has been very wet ....the wood is covered,but still damp. I do plan on painting the entire house after putting up the new siding.Thank you for the tip....

Search this Thread