Drywall Corners

Old 05-12-02, 09:11 AM
Drywall Corners

I'm in the process of finishing some walls. I was going to use standard metal corner bead when I came across metal corner bead already precovered in tape. They have it for both outside as well as inside corners. It feels sturdier than the traditional metal bead & at least to "my untrained eyes" seems as if it would be better and easier to use since its already covered with the tape. Anyone familiar with this? If so is it good to use? I'm not so sure how to apply it since unlike the regular metal beads which have holes for nails in it this does not. The metal portion is solid. Do you just apply it and use the joint compund to secure the tape like any other tape? Do you have to put a layer of joint compound down first & than apply it on top of the compound or can you put the corner bead first & than apply the compound on top of it? I appreciate any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-02, 09:32 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
I think you're on the right track

Saw them using this stuff on Hometime. If I remember correctly, no nailing involved, just compound.

Old 05-14-02, 12:14 PM
This is called tape on corner bead. Put mud on the corner and apply bead. Use your knife to mash the tape part down. I prefer nail on bead. Some guys like to tape their bead after it's nailed. I don't because there is a huge chance for blisters. Also if you nail it off correctly it won't crack.

Old 05-15-02, 03:47 PM
lanem
Visiting Guest
I used this stuff for my recent drywalling project . In the past I had used the standard nail on trim. The tape on corner bead worked very well, was easy to apply, and so forth. One suggestion -- It seems to take more compound underneath the metal part of the tape to stick it to the wall permenantly than does your normal tape. I had problems at first with the tape loosening up (I have not had this problem with normal tape since my first drywalling chore a long time ago). So be aware!

Old 05-15-02, 03:50 PM
lanem
Visiting Guest
For a little more clarity and to answer your questions more fully --

This is applies just like regular paper joint tape -- First a layer of compound, then press the bead into the compound, metal side down -- let it dry. Apply a coat of compound -- dry, sand, repeat.

Old 05-15-02, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I assume you apply the "Inside" corner tape on bead the same way.

Can you use all purpose joint compound or do you need to use a specific kind?