Retaining Walls-Decorative

Old 05-13-02, 10:20 AM
Shirley Miller
Visiting Guest
Retaining Walls-Decorative

I plan to build a decorative retaining wall approximately 16 ft long & 3 ft. high. Do I need to cement, etc. inbetween each layer of mortor bricks, or can they just be stacked one on top of another without using anything to hold them there? Also, what do I do about drainage. This wall will be built approximately 4 foot from the front of my house, filled with dirt (for the purpose of not having enough existing dirt around foundation of house since it is on a slop/hill &all dirt washed away.) This building of a wall was recommended by 2 foundation repairmen, to be filled with dirt.
Do I also need to add drainage pipes at bottom & gravel, or just plain dirt.?

Old 05-15-02, 08:47 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
You do not need cement between your blocks.
I would guess you will use landscaping block that is held together with fiberglass dowels or the blocks will have a an interlocking design. If you are building the wall out of natural rock, you will need cement.

There are several steps to building a good wall. The first is a good foundation and a good drain plan. I would suggest picking up a book so you can learn about compacting sand, pouring a foundation, laying drain tile, and setting the blocks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: