Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mesh tape & Type of Joint compound

NY

05-15-02, 04:34 PM   #1  
Mesh tape & Type of Joint compound

I recently read Myron Ferguson's book "Drywall - Professional Techniques for walls & ceilings". In it he recommends using mesh tape on tapered joints but to use it with a setting compound. If a drying compound is to be used he recommends a taping compound not a topping or all purpose compound. On a recent trip to home depot to buy my stuff I noticed that they only carried all purpose premixed joint compound. Can this be used with the mesh tape and get good results despite what I've read in the book?

I also came across self-adhesive paper tape - Anyone have experience with this? Is it better than the standard paper tape?
Can you really apply it without a base layer of compound first? How does it compare to the self-ashesive mesh tape? Can you use any type of joint compound with it? Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links

KS

05-16-02, 07:46 AM   #2  
bvgas- If I remember correctly you are doing a pretty big job, right? If this is true I recommend you buy a banjo. A banjo is a taping machine. Home depot sells them for around $70. This will make you life a lot easier. Use paper tape and USG plus 3 joint compound. Thin it down a bit so it pulls through the banjo easier. Now to answer you question- Mesh tape is good because you don't get any blisters. Also its sticky. Bad thing is you cant easily use it in corners which are most of you joints. Home depot sells usg all purpose(green box), plus 3(blue box with red), and topping (light blue). I use Plus 3 because it has enough adhesive in it to hold tape but is very light weight. Don't use topping for anything but the top coat. It has less adhesive in it and is really soft. Remember always pre fill.

NY

05-16-02, 08:43 AM   #3  
Are the plus 3 & topping premixed? I didn't see them when I was there last. Which would you use with mesh tape? Any thoughts on the self adhesive paper tape? Is the plus 3 the equivalent of a taping compound?

KS

05-17-02, 12:58 PM   #4  
Both plus 3 and topping are pre mixed. You can buy plus 3 in buckets or boxes. Topping comes in boxes mostly. You can use plus 3 for everything. Very good product. I havn't used the sticky paper tape. Seems like there aren't enough holes and what happens when the self adhesive doesn't adhere anymore?

Search this Thread