Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Top Layer of Particle Board Lost. Can I paint over this?

Visiting Guest

05-25-02, 04:07 PM   #1  
dre1988
Top Layer of Particle Board Lost. Can I paint over this?

Hi All,

My Memorial Daty weekend is turning into a nightmare. I have a new house that had two layers of wallpaper in the bathroom that I would like to remove and replace with latex paint. This wallpaper was attached directly to the particle board forming the wall. I was stripping the wallpaper using a steam stripper and I pulled on the wallpaper to remove it. I'm not sure if I pulled too hard (I'm a bit heavy-handed) or if it was because the wallpaper was attached to the particle board but I ended up pulling out large sections of the particle baord top layer along with the wall paper. Now I can see the brown paperlike surface of the particle board. Can I just paint over this or do I need to spackle the entire wall where the top layer of the particle board was lost? See the URL below for a picture of the wall. Please help!

Thanks,
AL

Last edited by dre1988; 05-25-02 at 09:26 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-06-02, 04:58 PM   #2  
woodbadger
This is sheetrock, not particle board.

You should skim coat a layer of joint compound over the sections that you pulled the paper off of.

Your odds of getting the wall perfectly flat are right next to zero, so I would suggest painting and putting up new wall paper.

Search this Thread