Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Removing and replacing wood panelling?

Removing and replacing wood panelling?

Old 05-28-02, 12:49 PM
Rev._Darkness
Visiting Guest
Angry Removing and replacing wood panelling?

Because of the crappy job done by the previous owner of my house, in order to fix a leak in one of my bathrooms, the plumber has to go in through the dining room wall. The wall has wood panelling on it, and the plumber will not touch it, as it is not covered by my HomeShield insurance. How do I remove the panelling so I can put it back "good as new"?

Old 06-06-02, 05:44 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
I will assume the paneling you are talking about is natural wood, t&g, layed horizontally, and a lot of the wall needs to be removed. The paneling is nailed just below the top.

The easiest way is to start at the top. If the top row is flush to the ceiling, the top row will most likely be ruined getting it down.

After the first row, you can get a prybar behind the paneling. The nails will pull through so you can salvage the paneling.

If you need just a small portion of the wall removed, you can use a wood chisel to spit a row in half (scrap) and then pry required lower boards off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: