Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hanging Dry wall in Basement

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 05:48 AM   #1  
CuriousGeorge
Hanging Dry wall in Basement

I have a quick question. I am going to be hanging dry wall in a basement that is approximately 800 sq. ft. The bottom of the joists is a bit under 8 ft.

My question is should I hang the drywall vertically or horizontailly?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-03-02, 10:09 AM   #2  
Bryanx0a0d
Horizontal.

No seams from floor to ceiling.
You can use 12 foot sheets which means less taping and mudding .

Check your local building code before you start the project. Ask about what type of sheetrock they require in the basement.

For example: I am required to have 5/8 inch fire rated sheetrock on the walls & ceiling in one area and anything I wanted in others.

NY

06-04-02, 07:55 AM   #3  
I recently went through the same situation. I drywalled my basement which also has ceilings under 8ft. I actually ended using a combination of horizontal & vertically hung 8ft panels because in certain areas due to space constraints hanging panels vertically was near impossible. Anyway from my limited experience here are the pros & cons.

Vertical:
Pros: If your ceilings are less than 8ft your standard 8ft panels can span the whole wall from top to bottom so you end up with no butted seams, only tapered ones.
Somewhat easier to hang by yourself if working alone because your don't have to support panels in midair (at least as opposed to the top horizontal panel)

Cons: Harder to secure your panels at the seams - First you have to make sure that the seams fall out exactly in the middle of the studs & even then your working with a smaller cross-section of wood (Since studs are mounted up/down with "longer" ie 4" section going front to back relative to the drywall - you only have an 1 1/2" of stud to overlap the seams on). The problem with this is its easier to "miss" the stud with your drywall screws or crack the panel slightly if your not perfectly centered on you half of stud. What I actually did to help this is I mounted additonal studs facing the "long" way to give my self more surface to mount the drywall to. When you mount the panels horizontal you don't have this problem since the edge of the drywall sheet crosses the stud perpendicularly and gives you the "whole" length to work with.
You will have less butted seams but will probably end up with more total seams especially if your not using panels longer than 8ft. However if your working alone - which I was its not very practical to use panels longer than 8ft - They get very heavy & even more cumbersome.
If your basement ceiling is "low" like mine was maneuvering the panels Vertically is harder especailly around any "obstructions.

Horizontally:

Pros: Less total seams
Easier to mount to studs
Easier to maneuver

Cons: More butted seams unless your able to get help and use the bigger panels in which case you can almost eliminate butted seams if your walls are less than 16ft.
Harder to mount the "upper" panel since you have to support it several feet off the ground (usually by resting it on screws). Again if you have help this is not as much of an issue.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread