Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Project Question

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 10:45 AM   #1  
GTurton
Drywall Project Question

Hi, I am new to these forums and read back a ways but could not find a similar project so maybe one of you can help me.

I started a home remodling project where I removed a couple small interior walls (not load bearing) between a closet and crawl space in order to make a small 10x10 room for the kids to watch TV and so forth. Now that the old walls are removed, new ones built and electrical in and working, I am at the drywall phase.

My question is, in the area where I removed the old walls there is the 5 inch width area from floor to ceiling (and across the ceiling) where the wall used to meet that I need to put drywall in. Can I just cut long 5 inch drywall strips and screw/mud/tape or do I have to rip out more drywall and put in larger sheets. There are studs and boards where I need to screw so that is not a problem. Any advice would be appriciated. I can also give more information if needed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 08:53 PM   #2  
bungalow jeff
If you can screw up 5-inch strips, then that is the way to go. You can tape both sides and mud across both.

Visiting Guest

06-03-02, 10:23 PM   #3  
Veric
I suggest that if you use 5 " strips of sheet rock put some wood strips in between the studs to add extra suport. 1x4 6 inches long will work screw into existing board on wall let 3" hang to screw new strips to. this will add suport against bumps.

Search this Thread