Room Addition, Outside Wall

Old 06-02-02, 07:08 AM
tetradecahedron
Visiting Guest
Room Addition, Outside Wall

How do I build an outside wall for a room addition?

We already have frame installed and plywood covering it on the outside; but the plywood is getting blackened from the sun, wind and rain.

What are the next steps?

Old 06-02-02, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Cover the exterior of the plywood walls with house wrap (Tyvek is good), and then whatever siding you choose that matches or goes well with the rest of your home.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-02-02, 07:31 AM
tetradecahedron
Visiting Guest
Thank you Mike.

After we apply Tyvek, what next?

We live in blistering Florida, and a friend recommended stucco. But, I have also seen [aluminum?] siding and brick. I am not too handy with mortar (i.e., never did it), so brick may be out.

What other options are there, and what would you suggest for a first time handy man?

Old 06-02-02, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There are all kinds of house siding materials. Just look into them and compare the cost and ease of installation for you.
You can use pressure-treated T-111 wood panels, or horizontal lapped p-t wood boards, or vertical boards-and-batten strips, or aluminum or vinyl siding, or Hardiplank, or cedar shingles,or ...
You can stain or paint the panels, boards, shingles or Hardiplank.
If you can operate a level and a hammer, go with something that nails on, and not into something that requires mortar (brick).
Just use galvanized #8 or # 10 twisted siding nails, depending on the thickness of the siding.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: