paneling over cement walls

Old 06-06-02, 07:37 AM
ccores
Visiting Guest
Question paneling over cement walls

I want to put up paneling in my basement, where there are cement walls. Originally, we thought we'd put up drywall, then panel over it. I see in the forum though that panels can be applied to furring strips added to the wall. This would be a cheaper & perhaps time saving alternative. I am wondering though - if I have 2 energetic kids that may end up banging into the paneling, would using only the furring strips be riskier than putting on full drywall , in terms of being able to break or crack the paneling? It seems there would be a cavity behind the paneling between furring strips that might make it more likely for breaking or cracking if bumped into. Any thoughts or recommendations on whether to put the paneling over drywall vs. furring strips?

Old 06-06-02, 01:05 PM
dickh
Visiting Guest
if you are paneling with 4x8 sheets that are only 1/8" thick, i agree with you for the reasons you mentioned. if you are using tongue and groove or shiplap stuff that is 3/8" thick or more i wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-06-02, 06:14 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
I would be very nervous about putting up paneling on furring strips in a basement. It doesn't take much humdity to get paneling to wave.

You will be much happier with putting up drywall first, mud and tape, paint sealer, then put up paneling.

Also be careful about building codes in your area. You may be required to insulate/vaporbarrier the block wall prior to covering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: