Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drilling into plaster...

Visiting Guest

06-17-02, 02:32 PM   #1  
on2maui
Drilling into plaster...

The surrounding wall on our upstairs patio is made out of plaster or concrete. We would like to attach a trellis to it but need to know what type of hardware to bolt down the trellis to this type of material?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

CAL

06-17-02, 03:57 PM   #2  
How thick is the wall? Are you sure it is not stucco? What is the annual rainfall in your area? What is the span of the trellis?
I only am asking these questions to see if it will get others to help you. The reason being, if you have a good amount of rain, you will want to prevent the water from getting into the wall. If the wall is made of stucco, there will be a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 under the top coating all the way around. You may be able to just drive nails down into it. If it is cement, you would have to use anchors and screws (same thing for plaster). However, I would be concerned about keeping the moisture out of the wall. I am sure silicone under each slat of the trellis would work, but there may be a better and easier way.
Anyone else have a better idea????

Visiting Guest

06-18-02, 09:25 AM   #3  
on2maui
Thanks Trying2help!

Approx. depth of wall is 9" and 4' high. I plan on attaching two sections of trellis that is 8' high by 4' wide, side by side. I'm pretty sure the wall is not concrete although it could be made of stucco. It's an old California Spanish style house constructed in the 30's. Not much rainfall here in sunny Los Angeles, but I should be concerned with water destroying the wall from the inside. My main concern is in using the right hardware so as not to break up the wall creating gaping holes yet securing this trellis solidly to the wall.

Thanks again for the advice!

CAL

06-18-02, 11:27 AM   #4  
Ok, now that I am thinking straight...At first I thought you were trying to install latice overhead to form a shaded area. But, you are putting up a trellis to allow plants to grow up the wall, hide the wall or add to the visual effects of the area.
Answer this question. If you measure four foot from the end of the wall, can you drive a nail into the wall? If it is cement you will not be able to without the nail benting. If it is stucco, you will be able to. Stucco is a plaster like coating, placed over a layer or chicken wire which is attached to a wooden frame.
If the wall is stucco: If you are planning on having vining plants grow up the trellis, I would build a frame network (4 X 8) sections on the wall. Just using 2 X 2's or 2 X 4's, measure and nail them directly into the wall. Than using lattice, nail this to the frames. The gap created by the two by's will give the plants an area to vine around the lattice.
If the wall is cement: You have a couple of options of how to attach the framing: You can use a masonary bit, drill holes and insert anchors in the wall. Than use screws to secure the frame work to the wall. This requires you to line up the anchors with the screws coming through the frame. Not to bad, just takes some practice and patience. Or you can rent a nailer used for cement nails and "shoot" the nails into the frame work and wall.
If you are in a hurrry and are going to let plant grow up the tellis you want to consider using pipe and chicken wire. Just drive the pipe in the ground and run chicken wire between the poles. Not very eye appealing, until the plants grow up it, than you can't see the pipe or chicken wire anymore. Only advantage here, is it is cheap and quick.

Visiting Guest

06-18-02, 02:53 PM   #5  
on2maui
Hi Trying2Help...

Thanks again for the invaluable information! Yes, the trellis is being used to provide privacy from the neighbors while adding some life to our patio. I appreciate all of your scenarios and recommendations. Once we get this installed, I will let you know my results and most likely...challenges along the way.

I appreciate your time and knowledge and willingness to help us who struggle in our renovations!

On2maui

CAL

06-18-02, 02:59 PM   #6  
One thing I didn't mention...ensure your 2 X 2 (4) 's are at 48" center. This will allow you to nail the 4' X 8' lattice directly to the frame without over lapping or missing the vertical supports.

Visiting Guest

06-18-02, 03:04 PM   #7  
on2maui
Thanks again!

Search this Thread