Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

un-texture my wall?

Visiting Guest

06-21-02, 10:27 AM   #1  
brownie48
un-texture my wall?

I have bathroom walls that are textured. I want them to be flat...what is the best way to do that??

thanks!

Sponsored Links

06-21-02, 12:57 PM   #2  
Sanding is the only way. An electric palm sander would make it easier. Start with a course paper, and see how much it bites into the wall. Work down to a medium, then fine paper. Be sure to wear a dust mask and be prepared for a mess. After the sanding, touch up with joint compound or light weight spackle.
Prime and paint.

Visiting Guest

06-30-02, 12:46 PM   #3  
woodbadger
I would suggest just removing the sheetrock. The odds that you can actually sand down the texture without wrecking the paper on the sheetrock is slim to none.

I recently remodeled a 8x12 bathroom.

I removed the molding, vanity and toilet. Then removed all of the sheetrock, put up plywood and nailed variable length solid oak paneling to the plywood. New vanity, toilet and molding.

Total project took 4 days and I now have a brand new bathroom.

Your project whuld be about the same, just put up new sheetrock, tape, mud, and paint.

06-30-02, 05:02 PM   #4  
Good point, Woodbadger..... a third option would be to add a layer of 3/8" sheetrock over the existing walls. The down side is that the mouldings and baseboard would have to be removed and replaced. I used this method in a small laundry room where the walls were damaged by paneling glue. Just a thought......

KS

07-01-02, 12:37 PM   #5  
Whoa! Sand down the texture?? No way. Take off and re hang drywall? What are you crazy?? The cheapest easiest way is to skim mud over your texture. Three coats should cover it up and be nice and smooth.

Visiting Guest

07-01-02, 01:51 PM   #6  
woodbadger
I thought about skim coating over texture. I don't think a do-it-yourselfer would be capable. If you have an orbital sander with a vacuum attachment like the pros ... maybe. Perfectly smooth and ready for paint with a pole sander ... highly doubtful. Sanding block and someone who has never seen sheetrock without paint on int ... no way.

So, that is why I would suggest just removing the rock and starting fresh.

The easiest answer, of course, would be to leave it as is, or wallpaper.

Search this Thread