Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spraying Plaster on Drywall (How to?)

Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 02:00 PM   #1  
rmogford
Spraying Plaster on Drywall (How to?)

I am renovating a room in our house. The drywall finish in the house is sprayed on using (I think) a hopper guu. I can't find a professional who is available to do this and wondered if anyone could give me or direct me to some basic instructions to try it myself.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-08-02, 11:02 AM   #2  
dickh
this is not a tough job. the day before you spray tape off everything you don't want covered with mud. (windows, doors, trim work, floors etc.) then go buy enough joint compound to do the job. your supplier should be able to tell you how much you need. the next day go rent a hopper and air compressor. you will also need a drill and mixing paddle. dump about half a pail of the joint compound into another bucket and add water and mix until it is about the consistency of pancake batter. then pour into hopper gun and spray on the wall. if its too thick just scrape it off and keep adding and mixing water and mud until you get the look you want. once you get it spray the walls in 3-4 sections with an s pattern. the whole job and cleanup should only take a couple of hours. prime the walls before you do this. let the texture cure for a couple of days and you are ready to paint.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 02:24 PM   #3  
powderpuff
Texturize drywall.

So......... do your prine before you texturize or after?

Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 09:03 AM   #4  
dickh
i prime before texturing. as explained to me by a professional painter friend, the paper of the drywall and the mudded joints will cause the texture to dry at different rates. this can make a difference in size of the texture, which in the right lighting will cause all your seams to show. priming 1st will insure that texture all cures at the same rate and this will not be a problem.

Search this Thread