drywall over plaster?

Old 07-06-02, 03:02 PM
jpower
Visiting Guest
drywall over plaster?

Remodeling old apartment. Tore off paneling to find plaster walls with very large areas of plaster broken out, and an entire fireplace broken and covered over. Also large void areas in plaster where separation wall was removed.

My question...do I have to remove the other 85% of the plaster walls and lathe and then drywall? Can I use thin (1/4"?) drywall placed over the existing plaster/lathe. this will bridge and cover the void areas as well, and seems easiest. Do I glue, screw or nail drywall?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 10:30 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
you can put drywall over the plaster but keep in mind that all your windows and doors will need extension jambs and all other trim work will have to be recut to fit. if you choose to remove the rest of the plaster and lathe you can probably reuse the trim and shim doorways and windows to fit the old casings. also a great time to update insulation and wiring. removing old plaster and lathe is a lot of work and messy but i think its worth it. screw or nail the new drywall.

Old 07-08-02, 07:33 PM
jpower
Visiting Guest
Smile Drywall over plaster

to dickh,

Thanks for your help. I've got a drywall person quoting me to cover the plaster. I will take your advice about the insulation, but electric is in good shape, and I needed to renew all window and door trims anyway, so that will happen.

jpower