smoothing a bumpy ceiling - help!!

Old 07-09-02, 06:43 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smoothing a bumpy ceiling - help!!

I have removed a dropped ceiling in my kitchen (soffits over the old cabinets) but getting the whole ceiling to be smooth is turning out to be quite a chore. Is there some trick to doing this? Is it more than a novice drywaller can handle? The new wallboard on the ceiling is the same thickness as the old but the joints did not match up evenly. In some cases, it was off as much as 1/2 inch. I taped and mudded it but it is clear it will take lots of mud to make it so you can't see the transition. Any other ideas? Suggestions?

Old 07-10-02, 06:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
O.K. You've gone this far so lets finish the job. Take you twelve inch knife and put edge so it crosses the joint. From what you describe you should be able to rock it back and forth like a teeter totter. Now move the knife to one side so the knife starts at the tape and goes to one side or the other. And do the same on the other side. Does one side have a greater gap than the other? If so apply enough mud to fill that gap. Also fill the gap on the other side as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: