Texturing plywood walls

Old 07-12-02, 03:27 PM
papertiger
Visiting Guest
Texturing plywood walls

After removing the wallpaper from my living room, I find bare plywood walls. What should I do before applying mud and texturing the walls?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 07:09 PM
smartkim
Visiting Guest
We bought an old house with dark paneling and couldn't afford to hang drywall in all the rooms so we decided to texture the paneling. We used kilz primer on the paneling and then spread drywall mud on the walls creating a texture. Then we mixed latex paint (1 inch of paint) with (1 gallon) water and sponged the color on the walls. This may not be the professional way to do it but it looks great! It's been almost a year now and the only problem that we had was that we may have put the mud on a little too thick because the paneling bucked a little in some areas. You might could try putting a few more nails through the paneling into studs before mudding. We had fun doing this and it really does make a huge difference in the walls!

Old 07-16-02, 07:10 AM
Now I've heard everything. You found plywood under the wallpaper?? Man, some people. Anyway, I suggest you hang and finish drywall over the plywood. Every joint on the plywood is going to crack. The grain of the wood will bleed through. Sorry.

Old 07-25-02, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Plywood is fuel for a fire. sheetrock will slow it down. Sheetrock it.