Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wood types for studs

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 05:51 PM   #1  
reprosser
Wood types for studs

I am finishing part of my basement, and I purchased some 2x4 studs from Lowes to use. I noticed that the existing framework in the basement has a darker amber color compared to my new (white-ish) studs, and they are harder (to nail into). They don't appear to be pressure treated - they remind me of lumber that I saw when we demolished my grandmother's old house.

Is there a special lumber for wall studs in basements, or is this stuff just aged ? This could be the same in the whole house, but the basement is the only area with exposed studs.

Markings: COWLITZ STUD R D-FIR S-DRY

House is 7-8 years old.

Sponsored Links

VA

07-14-02, 04:16 AM   #2  
reprosser,

Wood does tend to darken with age - you'd see the same thing in anyone's basement or attic.

Your old studs are douglas fir. Many new lumber mfgs. simply mark them SPF, for spruce, pine or fir. Could be any of the three.
The only concern in a basement is you should go with pressure treated for any lumber affixed to the floor. Your wall studs are fine.

fred

Search this Thread