water damage to ceiling/wall

Old 07-17-02, 07:32 AM
j2mccraw
Visiting Guest
water damage to ceiling/wall

I am removing wallpaper from my dining room and when I took down a very large window treatment (valance, curtains, etc.) I found a place in the corner of the ceiling/wall where there is water damage. The leak has been fixed because we have not had any problems with it but the ceiling and wall were never repaired. The previous owner had painted the ceiling to try to cover the spot but it all needs to be repaired. I have read about repairing drywall (patching holes, etc.) but I have no idea how to repair the ceiling, and do I repair the damaged drywall the same way that I would repair it if there were a hole? Please help me! I want to try to do this job myself, or at least know how it should be done before I ask my husband to help me. I told him that this is my project and I'm going to learn how to do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 07:54 AM
This may not be as bad as you think. How is the drywall damaged? Is it cracked? Is there a hole? Or is it just water stained? A lot of times the drywall does not need repairing. At least not removed and patched. It may be the paint has peeled and there is a water stain. If this is the case scrape all the loose paint from the surface. You will have to spread a thin layer of drywall mud over the area to cover the missing paint spot. Let dry and sand a little bit. Then get a good stain blocking primer. When that is dry you can match the color paint on the wall. The ceiling may be more difficult if the texture is damaged. Report back with all the details---Is there texture on the ceiling? If so what kind and how bad is it? Can you push your finger through the damaged areas? Is there any cracking? Stuff like that.

Old 07-17-02, 08:29 AM
j2mccraw
Visiting Guest
The drywall has a hole where the bracket for the window treatment damaged the wall. Other than that it is just stained. The ceiling is the real problem. It is a textured ceiling and the texture in that corner is really uneven because of the water. The ceiling isn't mushy anymore but you can tell that it was at one time. To me it looks like it's a little bubbled it that area. I'm not sure if you can poke your finger through it, I didn't really try. I was afraid of causing further damage at the time.

While we are talking about it though, how hard is it to smooth out the texture on the ceiling? There is a place in the middle of the ceiling where it has been repaired because someone stepped through the ceiling from the attic. You can see where it was repaired, the paint is a slightly different color. Do I have to completely redo the ceiling to get rid of the texture or is there a tool/technique that I can use to smooth it out? It would be easier to repaint to even out the color if the ceiling were smooth.

Old 07-17-02, 12:19 PM
What kind of texture is it????? If it's knock down you can skim over it. If it's acoustic(popcorn) you can remove it. Thats all I can tell you without more info.

Old 07-19-02, 09:01 AM
j2mccraw
Visiting Guest
Sorry I didn't give enough info. It is an acoustic (popcorn) ceiling. The area that has gotten wet looks like the paint has peeled and it is discolored. I appreciate any help you can give me in this area.