wallcovering-repainting

Old 07-21-02, 06:20 AM
skeebo
Visiting Guest
wallcovering-repainting

I have a newer model mobile home with textured wallcovering. I am wanting to repaint or paper and don't know what to do with the strips that are spaced every four feet or smaller in some places. There are strips at the top at the corners, small spaces, etc. I am afraid that if I take them off, 1. how do I refinish the wall to the same texture that is on the original wall board that has a coated surface and 2. how do I paper over this same surface in the bathrooms. The house is five years old and ready for some new colors, but I am in a quandry as to how to tackle these walls. The gaps nromally between the panels are rather large.

Old 07-21-02, 07:18 AM
Bubbles
Visiting Guest
Hi There:
You have two options:
1. If you want to paint you'll have to leave the strips up since the walls are textured.
2. If you want to wallpaper remove the strips & patch with dryall mud. Sand the patches even with the texture. Then apply a special coating you can get at any building supply store to prepare the walls for wallpapering. This coating is easily applied with a paint roller. Then proceed with your wallpaper.
NOTE: Before you paint or wallpaper check how easily the special coating comes of the paneling. Try in a normally hidden area by spraying with warm soapy water. If the coating starts to come off your only option is to apply some type of sheeting over the walls or hanging sheetrock in the areas you want to paint or wallpaper. - Hope this helps you with your project.

Old 07-21-02, 01:08 PM
skeebo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bubbles:

Old 07-21-02, 01:11 PM
skeebo
Visiting Guest
I really want to paint a good part of the house, but without the stripts. Is there any way to remove them and get a texture like what is already on the walls where the strips were?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: