Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceilings

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 05:32 PM   #1  
FranCal
Ceilings

I am preparing to remove the cottage cheese from my ceilings and am planning on water and a scraper as per the advice of a friend that tried the same technique. I know it is a bear of a job, but does anyone have an easier way to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links

NC

07-23-02, 05:57 AM   #2  
That's about it.
Use a Windex-type sprayer bottle, and experiment in an area where there is not a seam to get the moisture level just right.
Put down a plastic drop cloth, and hang plastic down the walls.
This is a very messy job.
Once the ceiling popcorn is removed, and the ceiling has dried, patch scraped spots and re-tape any seams, as necessary.
Lightly sand, prime (sander/primer/sealer) and paint.
Good Luck!
Mike

MD

07-23-02, 07:36 AM   #3  
If you have a Lowes in your area you might want to go there first. I recall seeing a scraper combination that was built for this exact purpose. It was a scraper with a frame that you could put a bag on to catch the scrapings

Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 06:03 PM   #4  
FranCal
Thank you both for the tips. I actually found that very scraper on a top shelf at Home Depot. The plastic down the walls is a great idea since I have already repaired, sanded and washed the walls.

Visiting Guest

12-29-03, 10:01 AM   #5  
beccarue
How did it go?

Hi Fran,

I'm just wondering if you've got those ceilings done yet, and how it came out? I'm getting geared up to do the same, in a hallway, and want to know what I have to look forward to. I also plan to use the scraper from Home Depot.

Thanks,
Rebecca

KS

12-29-03, 01:08 PM   #6  
Just a couple of comments. I use a 2 gal. garden sprayer with warm soapy water. Really get it wet. It seems to me that the bag that catches the scraped down stuff would get really heavy too fast. Also I use a six inch knife to scrape with. Its nice and straight and pretty stiff and easy to control.

Search this Thread