Solar Hot Water

Old 11-22-99, 03:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I am wanting to install a solar hot water system made from agricultural type black polythene pipe on the roof of our 18 square home, This will hopefully pre-heat the water before it reaches the thermostatically controlled instantaneous gas hot water unit which supplies us with domestic hot water, plus heats the concrete slab. I would like to know if this would work ok, what diameter pipe to use, and how much pipe do I need? We have quite a large flat roof area to install the system.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 11-22-99, 03:08 PM
Visiting Guest
What you have in mind might work in theory, but has so many not readily obvious considerations, complications, and limitations that I seriously doubt the economic feasibility. To heat a swimming pool perhaps, but not for what you want to do.

Old 11-22-99, 03:09 PM
Visiting Guest
The idea of pre-heating the water going to your hot water heater has been around for awhile. There are different means of making it work. Black pipe alone will not capture enough solar radiation to do much good though. I'm sorry, I don't have any specifics, but look through back issues of "The Mother Earth News" from the 70's and 80's. I remember lots of articles on solar water heating in them. Even better, most of the projects were cost-conscious and developed for people with basic skills. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-99, 12:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello Dave:

The best advice you already have from the two prior postings regarding the installation of any type of homemade pre heating system for the incoming water.

However, I gather your concern is also for cost savings. Again, the method your thinking of wouldn't be cost effective and your roof may not bare the added weight very well either.

If your planning on living in the home for say the next 10 years or so, the best long term cost savings methods would be:

To convert the household useage hot water to a free standing natural gas water heater with it's own insulated piping.

Another long term cost savings would be to install a roof mounted forced air natural gas fired furnace.

{You may also consider using baseboard heating using your existing water heater. This would be far more energy conservative then the existing slab heating already there.}

Obviously, I reconize that these suggestions can destroy the family budget and or bust the piggy bank.

However, for the long term home improvement investment and appreciatation, cost effectivness, savings on the dollar and long term energy savings, it's really a choice worth considering.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-13-04 at 07:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: