water heater pressure

Old 04-08-04, 11:17 AM
char178
Visiting Guest
water heater pressure

I recently attempted to flush my heater as I do every year. This time it did not drain until I released my pressure valve. After refilling, the water pressure from the heater is much lower. When I first turned it back on I got a major release of pressure through one of the faucets. I would say that the pressure is half of the cold water pressure. Since the inlet valve is permanently open, I had to shut off the water to the house before I could do the emptying. Help Please.

Old 04-08-04, 12:16 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: char178

Based on how I am reading the question, you "Drained" the tank and did not "Flush" the tank. Huge difference. Tank had air in it after you completed that task you did. Air entry into the tank does not happen when flushing is done.

To help better, read the tank draining and flushing forum note posted in the forum.

WATER HEATER DRAINING AND FLUSHING INFO:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=134483

Old 04-12-04, 05:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure

When you drained the water heater and closed the drain valve you turned the water service back on at the meter. At which point in your system did you relieve the air from the tank. Did you open a Lavatory, tub, shower or sink? Is it just this one fixture with reduced pressure or the entire hot water side of your system. The lavatory, shower or sink could simply be plugged in the aerator or restrictor in which case you would simply unscrew them and clean them out. I have always found it better to let the air from a water heater bleed out through the tub spout. Let us have a little more information and we will see if we can be of assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: