valve leak

Old 05-13-04, 10:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
valve leak

Hello Folks, I have a 1 year old Rheem water heater. It seems to leak hot water from the pressure valve located on the side of the unit after hot water has been used. A steady dribble not full blown release. It's enough to wet the floor but it's not flooding anything. Should I change the valve??? Any suggestions??
Thanks for your help in advance. Eric

Old 05-13-04, 10:28 AM
www.wattsreg.com < Click on Products, then Thermal Expansion

Old 05-13-04, 02:57 PM
F
Hello Folks, I can install the tank no problem. But, why would I need this now when it didn't require one before. Is it possible it's just the valve??? Thanks Eric

Old 05-13-04, 04:18 PM
Plumbing situations change.

You need to find out why it is leaking before you decide how to fix it.

Sometimes dirt in the seat of these devices causes the problem, but if you do not know your incoming water pressure, or if you have a PRV on your main line, it is speculatory to decide what is going on.

It is a safety device that is going off, a dangerous situation if not addressed.

Old 05-17-04, 03:49 PM
F
Hello Folks, I just remembered that I shut down a toilet fill valve recently. I'm not sure when the hot water heater started leaking, but, could this be the problem. This is my only recent plumbing change. Thanks eric

Old 05-18-04, 12:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A toilet fill valve should be on a cold water line and would have nothing to do with your water heater Temperature & Pressure relief valve leaking.
As Steve said, you have to determine WHY it is leaking. It is a safety device.
A T&P valve could be leaking because it is either defective or from debris in it (open it briefly to flush it and then close it, to see if that stops it), or it could be from thermal expansion caused by having a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) on a public water supply (creating a closed system), or it could be that your water pressure is too high.
First, try to flush the T&P valve.
If that doesn't stop it, replace the T&P valve. Turn the power and water OFF, drain the hot water pressure off, remove the old T&P counter-clockwise with a pipe wrench, wrap 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only on the male threads of the new valve as the threaded end faces you, and tighten it in.
If the new T&P leaks, you have a pressure problem from thermal expansion or water supply.
If a thermal expansion tank doesn't stop it, you need to check into the public supply pressure and a PRV.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-18-04, 05:26 AM
The toilet fill valve could have been a pressure reducing valve also. There are toilet valves made that relieve high pressure in closed systems, you could have changed out this without realizing it. Did it look like the following link:

http://www.watts-regulator.com/pdf-f...ts/S-GOV80.pdf

You need to check your line pressure before you decide on what to do next.

Old 05-18-04, 03:06 PM
F
Hello Folks, Notuboo, That was the valve exactly. Was this my problem??? Thanks for all the help guys!!! Eric

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: