Dip Tube Replacement Newbie Questions

Old 01-13-05, 09:16 AM
learnsdahardway
Visiting Guest
Dip Tube Replacement Newbie Questions

I would like to say that this is a very impressive forum from what I have read and learned so far and I am looking forward to learning a ton more. If you couldn't tell I have recently acquired my first home and there is a lot of work to be done! I apologize in advance if my questions are repeats and have already been answered in previous posts.

I have a Jetglas TTW2 hot water heater (gas) installed in January 1994 and I think I need to replace my dip tube.

I have a few questions for you guys...

1) When I shut the gas off, I am assuming that my pilot light will go out. How do I start it again? I know my furnace ignites itself, does my water heater do the same or do I have to manually light it?

2) If my dip tube has fallen into the tank how do I go about fishing it out? Will I need to turn my tank on its side in order to replace the dip tube?

3) How do I go about 'cleaning' or flushing the inside of my tank out to remove any possible plastic bits from the dip tube?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-05, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
learnsdahardway
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
When you shut off the gas and are ready to relight the pilot. There is a control panel on the side, near the bottom of the heater. It will habe a red knob and 3 positions. Off, Pilot, and On. Remove the sheet metal plate on the side of the heater. Should just lift straight up. Take a long match (or stick of spagetti) and light it. Turn the knob to Pilot and press down. Insert the lit match and look in the opening. If you move it around the pilot should light. Hold the knob down for one minute. Release the knob and the pilot should remain lit. Turn the red knob to last position and the main burner should ignite. There should be directions right on the heater near the controls.
If the dip tube fell in....there is no way to get it out so leave it in.
Click on the below link for instructions on draining and flushing the tank.
Reply back with any other questions. Good luck
If you have an electronic pilot, it will say on the side of the tank.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=134483

Old 01-13-05, 10:41 AM
learnsdahardway
Visiting Guest
Regarding the dip tube - I tried to turn the nut/nipple but it doesn't seem to turn....how do I detach the nipple from the steel/iron shaft inside the water heater. Do I turn the nut/nipple, or the shaft inside the tank in order to remove?

See this link for images Hopefully they will give a better understanding of what I mean:

http://www.imagevent.com/little/waterheater

Thanks!

Old 01-13-05, 11:03 AM
Turn off the cold water inlet valve. Should be marked on top of the tank right by the nipples. Open a hot water faucet to relieve the pressure. Turn the nut counterclockwise (as you are looking down on it. It should turn. It does appear that they dropped a little solder on the nut so it may be a little stiff to move. Then remove the nipple that the nut was connected to. The dip tube should be sitting in the opening. Stick your finger in the hole and you should be able to pull it out. (if it's there).
Pics helped. Thanks

Old 01-20-05, 10:55 PM
P
I was able to remove a dropped dip tube from the inside of a tank once. I drained the tank and used a straightened out coat hanger to fish it. I put a j hook on the end of the hanger and then heated the tip up with a propane torch. I sunk the hot hanger tip into the plastic of the dip tube, waited until it cooled and then pulled the tube out.