Failing Hot Water Heater?

Old 02-15-05, 05:32 AM
Neilrainer
Visiting Guest
Failing Hot Water Heater?

Hello All,

I have a gas hot water heater [35 gallon] short stature upright for a low ceiling in a storage space below the house. Heater is approx 14 years old. When I bough the house the inspector 2 years ago said I would probably need to replace it in the coming years.

Problems:
1. Shower and faucets on third floor decrease to near dribble pressure when you turn to hot, cold water pressure OK. This happened over several weeks about a month ago, before then hot water pressure as great everywhere.

2. The water is still piping hot but seems to last less long in second floor shower in last month where the pressure is still pretty good.

3. Cold water pressure pretty good throughout

Question:
I realize the hot water heater needs to be replaced at its age [I am sure it was not high quility as the builder used nothing else high quality] but wonder if the fall in pressure on hot will be corrected by this?

Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase one, national chain or Philadelphia, and a quality product with a 5 to 7 year warrenty [I'll be moving in 4-5 years]

Thanks all for your help

Old 02-19-05, 01:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have great success with Sears (Kenmore) water heaters.

A.O. Smith is specific to their specs, and they offer a 9 or 12 year warranty on their tanks.

Bradford White, Rheem or Ruud are also well-known brands to consider.

Old 02-19-05, 03:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The hot water pressure is not related in any way to the heater. A gas water heater either heats or it doesn't. Now, it could be a clogged nipple on the outlet, or remotely possible the dip tube. It sounds like you may have issues in the shower valves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: