22 year old water heater

Old 03-17-05, 07:36 PM
lj8576
Visiting Guest
22 year old water heater

Should I replace now or wait until it needs replacing?It works good. It was put in in 1983. Anyone recommend a decent brand for a 40 Gallon Thanks

Old 03-18-05, 04:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thats a long time for a water heater. I would suggest you use it and start looking for it's replacement. Check the warranties, energy efficiency and such. You are in a good position since you are not in a rush and can evaluate all the brands. Good luck.

Old 03-18-05, 01:59 PM
lj8576
Visiting Guest
OK So when it starts leaking do they usually leak slow or do I suddenly have 40 gallons of water in my basement?

Old 03-18-05, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hard question to answer. They are all different. Most start small. What I was suggesting is that you start seeking info on a new one without the pressure of "I need one today".
The older ones had thicker steel and better liners than the new ones. You will probably be upset when you see the warranties on the new ones. They are no where near the length of time you have already had this one. The one thing about not being under pressure is that you can make a rational decision and have time to compare. Good luck.

Old 03-18-05, 02:17 PM
lj8576
Visiting Guest
ok. The only thing is I still have a home warranty that expires in July so I hope it starts leaking a little bit before then.

Old 03-20-05, 03:31 PM
CutlassLvr4ever
Visiting Guest
Post We Have Same Problem!

Glad I found your post. We also have a water heater that has begun to leak recently, again. The first time was about 6 months ago and my husband pluged the value near the bottom with a new one that we had laying around the basement (that I had originally bought to allow our dogs to get water at the outside faucet on their own). It fit the hole and solved the problem for several months. Now it appears to have started leaking behind the heater metal wall. So... now I am reading up on all the options for the replacement. We usually try to do all our repairs on the cars we own, but this seems to be a job for a professional. We like the idea of the tankless, but see possible complications there with the change over. Would love to hear what you end up doing. Ours is in the basement and can be easily accessed. Gas water heater 40 gal Rheem model ...House built approx 20 yrs ago.

Old 03-21-05, 01:38 PM
lj8576
Visiting Guest
Well mine isnt leaking YET but like I said it is 22 years old. I have a home warranty that expires in july so I will probably wait until then to replace it whether it is leaking or not. If it starts to leak while still under warranty they will have to replace it.

Old 03-25-05, 12:11 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you doing the replacement work yourself

I used to change out water heaters and some companies offer 6 and 9 year warranties the only difference was the color of the outside jacket on tank the internal tank was exactly the same. What people were buying really was not a better water heater but a longer warranty. So if there 9 year heater died the heater would be replaced but the customer had to pay all of the installation cost.The heater cost around $220 the labor was another $220. I know what a rip off I have seen companies charge as much as $900 to install an electric water heater which only cost them $110 at wholesale plumbing house.If your installing the water heater yourself go with the 5 or 6 year heater it's the same thing as the 9 year heater. They don't make water heaters like they used too I doult you will get 20 years out of any water heater today. On the bright side I have seen water heaters still in use that were over 40 years old. I would look for one you can change out the annode rod easily some are buried under the insulation and top covering no fun to change.

Old 03-27-05, 03:50 PM
lj8576
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice I am going to do it myself unless it breaks before the warranty then it will be paid for minus a $50 deductible that I would pay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: