Difference Between Expansion Tank and New Hot Water Heater

Old 03-27-05, 05:00 AM
Suziqq
Visiting Guest
Question Difference Between Expansion Tank and New Hot Water Heater

Hi, I live in a condo and I have a gas HWH that is about 10 years old and I am looking to buy a new one. I have a 40 gallon tank and I want to install a 50 gallon. I was talking to the furnace man the other day, asking him pricing for a 50 gallon tank and he confused me when he started talking about expansion tanks...what is the difference? He also quoted me about $1400 for a brand new 50 gallon HWH. Isn't that a bit high? yikes!!! Also, if I went to Sears, do they have their own Contractors that install the water heaters, or do I have to set that up? I know when I bought my dishwasher there, they had the installer come and install the dishwasher. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Old 03-27-05, 06:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have a 40 gallon gas water heater, I think you should be able to replace with a 50 gallon for less than $1500. An expansion tank is something that could be required on a large water heater but is not expensive either. Maybe $50-$60. I suspect that you should get another price or 2 and make your decision based on conversations with the people who quote those prices.

Ken

Old 03-27-05, 06:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with KField. That price seems awful high. Sears does have contractors that work under contract to them. So does Home Depot and Lowes.
Expansion tanks are for control of high pressure and thermal expansion. I have included a link that shows one (blue tank) from another thread. 2nd post in thread. Good luck.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...expansion+tank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: