New water heater - water dripping on burner!

Old 03-28-05, 07:07 AM
Mat SRT-4
Visiting Guest
New water heater - water dripping on burner!

I purchased and installed a new Richmond 9 year natural gas water heater about 3 days ago. Everything went fine until the next morning and I had no hot water. I found that the pilot was out. I relit it and burner kicked in fine and had hot water all day. Now this morning pilot was out again. This time I relit and sat and watched it for a while. After heating for about 15 mins water started to drip down on the burner!
I didn't have this water heater professionally installed I did it myself, does that void my warrenty? I am a industrial mechanic so i'm pretty handy but this was my first water heater install.
The water heater didn't leak at all after install it only seems to be happening when the burner is on for a while and I haven't noticed any water on the floor after it runs. Just dripping on the burner while running.
I did notice that the cold water inlet pipe was pretty warm about (1' to 1 1/2') coming out of the water heater (thermal expansion?)
The old water heater (31 year old Jet glass) didn't have an expansion tank so I didn't put one on the new heater. Do I need one?

So is this a broken tank?, bad valve? Not to fimiliar with water heater internals. I just hope it's under warranty.

Thanks for any and all help.
Mat Oesterreicher

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 07:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mat SRT-4,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Sounds like a crack in the tank. It doesn't open up until heat causes expansion. I don't see why the warranty would be voided. A leak is a leak and you couldn't have caused that.
I would also look at where the nipples go into the tank while it is heating. May be leaking there and running down under the insulation, then on to the burner. Same with where the temp/press relief valve enters the tank. Check these possibilities out before attempting to return the heater. Good luck.

Old 03-28-05, 09:02 AM
Mat SRT-4
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help.

What are your thoughts on an expansion tank? I'm on city water but have no idea if theres a check valve inline keeping water from going back to the main.
I don't have a pressure gauge inline to check the pressure. The pressure relief on the WH is not opening up and dumping any water. I've heard thats only for emegencies and pressure could be high enough to be damaging the WH but not high enough to be released out temp/press relief valve. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Old 03-28-05, 09:12 AM
Wink

If the old tank worked with out an expasion tank then the new one should also. A new P/T valve should go at a 150 psi and temp of 250o. You should be ok there.

ED

Old 03-28-05, 02:37 PM
Mat SRT-4
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed Imeduc.
I did call the city water works and they confirmed that it is an open water system, no expansion tank needed.

I also called the Rheem tech support hotline and the service tech said the water dripping down was probably just condensation and that is was normal. He said to adjust some baffel that goes down the flue so water is not dripping on the pilot. I reststarted the WH and the water dripped down on to the burner plate for about 15 mins and then stopped so I don't think the water was causing the pilot to go out. So I'm back to square one it's running now so I'll have wait and observe.

Old 03-28-05, 04:14 PM
Thumbs down

They all drip when you put them in. Its like he said. After the tank j]\has been on for a day are two should stop. If like he said turn the baffel reach in under the diverter and you will feel it just turn it some it should be lose and just hang there. That hot water going up the cold water pipe. There is a floating check valve you can get to go on the cold water pipe will stop that .Home depot and lowes have them . Or make a 6" deep copper U and put it in the cold water line to the heater . Just like it is here U. That will stop it.

ED