Commercial Building Gas Pressure Questions

Old 04-02-05, 12:09 PM
L
Mr. Kiss
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Commercial Building Gas Pressure Questions

Hi All,
Have one of my commercial customers needing to relocate their natural gas hot water tank to eliminate a long pipe run. They are a commercial grower and I did all of their watering and filtration system design and intstallation. The hot water tank however was not one of my jobs at the time when they moved into the building about 4 years ago. The building maint. man did it on contract and I never was approached as to any requirements or location. Maintaining water temperature is critical to growth and after all this time and much aggrivation I've finally convinced the management that the location is unacceptable.
My problem..... I've been told that commercial buildings in Chicago usually have a gas entrance pressure higher than what's used in residential buildings and for safety should have a regulator to drop the pressure to a safe level. Is there normally a location where I could check the pressure? The maint man didn't use a regulator and that always scared me but if I'm to do the installation this time I want to be sure of what's safe. I've done plenty of industrial pipe fitting in the past but I didn't need to worry about regulation as it was controlled by the building utility group.
Anyone familiar with my needs?
Thanks,
Larry

Old 04-03-05, 07:52 AM
I would think this is permit required work. That being said, you should pull the permit to do it. With this being stated, you apparently are in over your head asking basic questions.

Yeah, I'm being a little rough with you.

If you have the proper gauge or manometer, you can take the pressure just about anywhere you can open the pipe, safely. There should also be a pressure port at the meter.

If you need a regulator, talk to the gas company about placement and about venting requirments.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-03-05, 08:23 AM
L
Mr. Kiss
Over my head?

Thanks for your advice notuboo......
Now as it is a commercial building where I'm certain permits have probably never been pulled I ain't about to go there.
I have plenty of pipe fitting experience (note I didn't use the word PLUMBING or PLUMBER), much of it with regulators and controls of one type or another. Lot's of S.S., B.I., Copper Silver Solder and Sweated, high and low pressure gas, fluid and steam.
I'm just trying to get an idea if the gas in this building is a higher than what's used in residential.
So I guess a tap is what I need to do.
Thanks,
LC

Old 04-03-05, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

The first and best is to call the gas company there and ask them what they want you to do there.

ED

Old 04-03-05, 08:53 AM
It's good to see that you do appreciate the permit requirements. Many jackleg's just do whatever where ever and when problems develop for the homeowner or business, the person who did the work is not to be found.

Then a professional, you pick the trade, comes in to make the proper repair and submits the proper billing for services rendered. The complaints start about being overpriced. What the homeowner / business owner should realize is proper work does cost money.

Look at the gas meter. There should be a little 3/8" plug to place a fitting in to attach your gauges. If not, use the drip at the meter. Reduce down as needed for your fittings.

Old 04-03-05, 10:14 AM
L
Mr. Kiss
Jackleg

Well, the work performed by that particular jackleg has been the main deterrence to me changing anything in the system thus far. I don't want my name associated with anything he's done especially something done with the natural gas piping. I've tried to express my concerns to the building owner but it hasn't totally sunk in. I might add that the building ownership has recently changed and the new owner plans to flaten building in near future with this tennant moving to another location where I'll basically have complete engineering control.
Safety is my main concern but this will take some rework so will cost them more. I'm well acquainted with trying to convince owners of why my costs are a bit higher compared to jackleg's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: