Hot water spike

Old 04-06-05, 12:06 PM
Almazick
Visiting Guest
Hot water spike

Whenever I'm in the shower water becomes very hot every 3 min for a few seconds. It seems to be that it shuts off the cold water for 3 seconds or so. Cold and hot water pressure seems to be very good. I installed a new water heater about 3-4 years ago and I live in townhouse. We have 2 showers on the second floor and the problem is the same. When I use the shower nobody else using any water at all. I don't know what might be a problem so I'd would like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 07:28 AM
I cannot really give an answer to why the hot water spikes if no other fixtures are being used while you are in the shower. Only remedy I see is installing an anti-scald valve. This regulates the hot water and tempers the water if the cold water pressure is changed. Good luck.

Old 07-19-05, 01:44 AM
Hank White
Visiting Guest
spikes

If you are on a well, it is almost certainly caused by the pump cycling on and off. A CycleStop valve will fix this nicely.

Old 07-19-05, 02:20 AM
If you have a leaking flapper valve in your toilet, the tank will leak down far enough for the fill valve to open up to refill the tank. Depending on how bad it's leaking, will determine how often the valve cycles. I had this happen to me. I kept hearing water being turned on, when I was the only one at home. It's easy to check for. Just listen for the valve to open while you're sitting there, reading the paper. It doesn't have to be the toilet near the shower. It could be one, in another bath.

Nashcat