burning smell in Whirlpool gas water heater

Old 04-19-05, 05:16 AM
cheenulee
Visiting Guest
burning smell in Whirlpool gas water heater

I just installed a 50 gal. Whilrpool gas water heater one week ago. Since installation, we have been having this burning plastic smell (best as I can describe it) coming from the front of the unit. It does not smell like natural gas. I have access to the front and back of the water heater and the smell appears only to be coming from the front of the unit.

It is installed in a confined space. I don't think it is an air circulation problem as there is a air vent in the floor from the crawlspace and the back and front of the heater is fully exposed to interior air. Also, the flue vent appears to be working as I checked the vent opening in the roof when it was on and felt hot air escaping from it.

Any ideas what is causing this smell? I can't find anyone else that seems to have this problem. ANy help would be much appreciated.

Jim

Old 04-19-05, 10:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Could be that its just new some will do that . Have you looked in side by the burner? Anything hanging down in there from the side walls. Burner good with a good blue flame but soft. When burning will the flue pull a match flame or smoke into it there by the diverter on top of the tank? Tats the beaat way to check a flue.

ED

Old 04-19-05, 12:06 PM
cheenulee
Visiting Guest
Hi Ed

Hi Ed

Yep, the flame is nice and blue. The smell seems to be originating from the top of the tank at the flue, but there is definitely suction into the flue, the match smoke goes right on in.

p.s. this is one of the FVIR models.

Old 04-20-05, 04:08 AM
cheenulee
Visiting Guest
found the cause

Well, I finally got to the bottom of this. I took apart the vent stack as I thought the smell was coming from the top of the heater. As I took it apart, I noticed that the foil tape that I used to seal up the joints smelled exactly like the smell when the water heater was on. Turns out that the heat from the vent heated up the tape glue and made the smell. Mystery solved.

Old 04-20-05, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might check with code there Vent pipes like that on gas units have to have sheet metal screws in them on each joint. No tape

ED

Old 10-06-08, 11:11 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good thought on metal tape!

I got a new Rheem 50 gallon gas water heater and have odor (not gas smell) more of hot metal smell. I have metal tape on vent but will check to see if ok with heat from flue. Flue is screwed together but as I tend to over build things putting tape around seams was just my extra. Good advice not something thought about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: