Moving a hot water heater outside

Old 04-22-05, 06:35 AM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Smile Moving a hot water heater outside

OK here i am again with a new project. I will be gutting my kitchen here soon, it is almost 100 years old and really shot. But first before i start this mess i am going to do a few things ahead of time. and this is the big one. I am going to move the Electric hot water heater location strait out from where it is now inside the kitchen to outside the kitchen, Yes outside the house!! this will open up a lot of space, and as there is no other place in this little house to put it, this should work out just great. Here is what i need from all of you nice building pros, First HELP!!! OK i know i need to put in a cement pad for it to sit on, and i would think a footing or something for me to mount the 2x4 walls of its cabinet to. I can not seem to find any simple plans for doing this, every thing i find is for much bigger like for putting in a slab with footing for a garage or something. any ideas from any one? or a sight that may have this??? some one out there must have done this before, i can't be the first. I am not sure even how big to make it, the slab that is. Now there is the hot water heater cabinet that will have a sloped roof to match the slop of my house roof, very steep as we get snow here. I need some kind of plans for this cabinet, are there any plans out there?? I am told the 40 gal hot water heater that we are putting in is about 24" in diameter, plus i would need a little room to work if i get a leak or something and also for insulation. Please!! any help on this project or ideas would be appreciated. Cliff

Old 04-22-05, 06:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You say snow. Have you checked with code there?? what is frost line and all??? Might look at plans for small shed.This could give you some input.

ED

Old 04-22-05, 07:20 AM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Moving a hot water heater outside

To answer Ed Imeduc: The county says the frost line is 18", now i will be bringing the water lines right out through the wall of the house from where they are now to the cabinet and tank. I want to mount the cabinet to the side of the house, so the pipes are only traveling maybe a foot or so,as for a small shed i really only want this a little bigger that the tank, it will be on the side of the house and seen so i really do not want a shed blocking much of the side of the house, plus there is only like 9'6"to the property line and i have to stay in 5' from that line.thanks Cliff

Old 04-22-05, 07:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For the pad,just make it 2ft larger than the water heater diameter. This would give you a 4ft pad.

As for the cabinet,you can take any plans you like and scale them down to come up with your size. Most are just a box with a door and roof. You can look at different styles of outdoor attachments,find one you like and scale it down to the correct dimensions.

When you place the water heater in the structure make sure you have it turned correctly to allow for replacement of elements and other parts if needed.

Also as a last note. make sure the door to the structure is wide enough to remove the water heater should replacement become necessary. Nothing worse than to build the structure around the water heater and not be able to get it out the door when you need to.

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: